After much trial and error I have finally designed a FOLDed rocket that I like. The trick was making a shape that was interesting but not too difficult to fold. I think this design is a nice balance. There are two versions of the rocket, Rocket Red 5 and Rocket Blue 2. These instructions apply to both versions.
Before you begin yo might want to view the “Getting Started” page for tips and suggestions.1)
Carefully cut out the rocket. Cut along the solid black outlines, DO NOT cut the dashed fold lines.
2) Carefully cut slits indicated by the white lines.
3) Fold along all the dashed fold lines.
4) Now the for the fiddly part. Carefully, and with patience, close the shape by inserting the tabs into their corresponding slots. A into A, B into B, and so on.
I found it easier to do the sides first and the bottom last.
This is the shape you are going for. Essentially it is two three-sided pyramids with fins.
And that’s it! Let me know how it went for you.
Meet Claw Bot, the faithful eight-legged worker robot. Build an army of Claw Bots to do your bidding. Nothing could possibly go wrong! Claw Bot is available now at Argyle Fine Art, coming soon to the FOLDed online store.
1) Carefully cut out the two pieces. Cut along the solid black outlines, do not cut the dashed fold lines. Cut slits along the white cut lines. See the “Getting Started” page for tips and suggestions.
Once you have the two pieces cut out and the tab slits cut (as indicated by white lines) You should pre-fold along all the dashed lines. This will make assembly much easier.
2) Assemble the body section by inserting the labeled tabs into their corresponding slots.
You can leave the legs straight, or curve them into a more relaxed position. I have given them a gentle S curve.
3) Fold the radiometer tube section in half along the dashed line.
4) Insert the radiometer tube tab into the slot in the top of Claw Bot’s head.
5) Make sure the tube is inserted all the way into the slot. Spread the two tabs apart underneath the slot to make sure it stays in place.
6) OPTIONAL – If you want a cleaner look, you could add glue inside the radiometer tube to keep the two halves together.
And that is all there is to it! If you have a Claw Bot, send me a photo. I’ve love to feature it in a FOLDed fan gallery.
Just in time for the Christmas Season, its Santa Bot! Get yours at Argyle Fine Art.
Santa Bot Assembly Instructions:
1) Carefully cut out Santa Bot following the solid black lines. Do NOT cut along the dashed fold lines.
2) Cut along the white slot lines, don’t forget the ones above and below the eyes and the one under the mouth.
3) Pre-fold along the dashed fold lines…
… fold the arms too.
4) Fold the eyes inwards.
5) I found it was easier to start with the hat first, inserting “tab C” into “slot C”.
6) Inset tabs A, B, and D on the bottom of the hat into their corresponding slots in the top of the head.
7) Finish the body by inserting” tab E” into “slot E”.
8) Attach the arms by inserting the shoulder tabs first.
9) Finally, insert the “HO HO HO” print out into the slot under Santa Bot’s mouth.
10) Have fun with your Santa Bot FOLDed!
Got a photo of your Santa Bot you would like to share? Send it me!